Tuesday, April 5, 2011

An Atlas of Impossible Longing [Book Review]


"They were not sketches. They were a declaration of love."

An Atlas of Impossible Longing: A Novel 
The first thing I noticed when opening this book for the first time was a "Cast of Characters" page. This worried me a bit. Often when you see this, you are about to embark upon a seriously confusing book, but this was not the case at all with An Atlas of Impossible Longing. Not only was it easy to follow, I have to say this is the best book I have read in years. I absolutely loved it and fell in love with the characters.

Set in India during the first half of the twentieth century, Ms. Roy tells the stories of 3 generations in 3 parts. In the first part, we meet Amulya, a faithful, if inattentive husband of Kananbala who slowly goes mad and is eventually locked away in an upstairs room where she witnesses a murder. The second part focuses on Amulya and Kananbala's grown children, young granddaughter, Bakul, and young orphan, Mukunda, adopted by the family. I found the story of forbidden love in the second part to be absolutely delicious. The third part is told by the now grown Mukunda who longs to be reunited with his childhood friend, Bakul.


Disclaimer - I received this book for my honest opinion, no other compensation was received.
Enter to Win Giveaways Ending Soon
We Love Comments
Share This

2 comments:

Giveaway Lady on Thu Apr 07, 02:25:00 PM 2011 said...

I know what you mean about a cast of characters:) I hate when the book has too many people to keep track of.

E on Mon May 23, 10:10:00 AM 2011 said...

you review is great ! It makes me really want to read this book! Adding another to my list! :]

 

An Atlas of Impossible Longing [Book Review]

Taking Time for Mommy is an Online Magazine offering recipes, giveaways, reviews, and more. Content Copyright © 2011 Taking Time For Mommy.

Layout Copyright © 2009 Fashionzine is Designed by Ipietoon for Bie Blogger Template
In Collaboration With Teen Celebrities