Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Balancing the writer within you against being a mom and wife.

Balancing the writer within you against being a mom and wife.

I am Super Mom!

Endowed with special powers and abilities, beyond those of mortal women, I can get the munchkin off to gymnastics, cheerleading, Girl Scouts, and swim lessons.  I can put hot food on the table for dinner while assisting with homework, baths, and bedtime... And, I still find time to keep the hubby happy (nudge nudge wink wink). I can do all of this and still have time to write my novels.

Sorry… I can't even write that with a straight face.

Lies all lies.

Here’s the reality. I’m a sleep-deprived, overworked, mom who just doesn’t know the meaning of the word balance. I wish I were super mom.  I wish I were super author. I try so hard to do it all, and at the end of the day I fall face forward into the couch.

Yes, you read that right, I tend to sleep on the couch. It’s a point of frustration for my hubby and a thing of comedy for my daughter. There are many mornings where I wake up to the sound of my 7 year old daughter yelling, “Mom slept on the couch again!!!”

Because being supermom (or trying to) means a lot of time devoted to family, writing is often done when said family is peacefully snoozing away. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve fallen asleep with my laptop, on the couch. It just happens. Then, bright and early at 7am either my hubby (on his way to work) or my daughter (getting ready for school) wakes me up.

Writing is my passion. It’s a part of me. More than just a hobby, it’s a compulsion. I have to do it. If I don’t do at least one writing related thing each day I get cranky. But to be able to write, I need a certain type of quiet.  Hence the dilemma.

For my family’s sake, it gives the illusion of balance. While the family is home, they have 100% of my attention. I’m there ready and willing to take care of the things they need.  Daytime is family time. Then, once I have tucked them into bed my real work begins.  And, as many of you writers know, once you have the muse working, it can mean hours upon hours of writing time. Which is why I said that “balance” is illusion. Sometimes those bouts of inspiration and writing turn into an all-nighters. That leaves me so spent that if I don’t end up sleeping on the couch, I end up crashing shortly after I drop my daughter off at school.

We all have to sleep sometime.

Not every night goes this way, but many of them do while I’m feverously working on a project.  So far, I’ve been able to write and publish 5 titles in the last few years. I write a mix of Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance.  Surprise, surprise, all of my titles involve vampires. There must be some connection there between writing about those creatures of the night and the time of day I use for writing.

If you’re interested in checking out my special brand of vampires, feel free to stop by my website http:///www.katiesalidas.com

Or you can search for me on any of your favorite ebook retailer’s website.
Amazon.com
Amazon UK
Barnes & Noble
Smashwords

Novels in the Immortalis Series

Immortalis Carpe Noctem
Hunters & Prey (Immortalis #2)
Pandora’s Box (Immortalis #3)
Enter to Win Giveaways Ending Soon
We Love Comments
Share This

3 comments:

Reasonably Less on Tue Jul 12, 11:31:00 AM 2011 said...

Very Interesting, Love it! Nice site, I will be sure to come back to visit!Make sure to link up on my BLOG HOP at www.reasonablyless.com

Rachel
www.reasonablyless.com
“Mommy freebies, coupons and Advice on using coupons”

Book Lover on Tue Jul 12, 04:42:00 PM 2011 said...

Thanks Katie! I laughed, I still don't know how you do it. Having children & writing is so difficult for me sometimes!

Mandie

Theresa on Tue Jul 12, 07:41:00 PM 2011 said...

Your dilemma is so familiar. I am a mom late in life and think to myself why did I waste all the precious writing years when I had time, sleep and focus.

Thanks for sharing Katie!

 

Balancing the writer within you against being a mom and wife.

Taking Time for Mommy is an Online Magazine offering recipes, giveaways, reviews, and more. Content Copyright © 2011 Taking Time For Mommy.

Layout Copyright © 2009 Fashionzine is Designed by Ipietoon for Bie Blogger Template
In Collaboration With Teen Celebrities