Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Three Things I’ve learned my First Year Home schooling




This is our first official year home schooling and it has certainly been a year of trials and errors. A few tears and a lot of frustration too. Here are some things we learned.

1.
What works for one family may not work for us – I’ve always known we were going to home school but dredging through all of the different styles and curriculum was a daunting task. Everyone had advice, which was appreciated but at times it could be confusing. I ended up frustrated, especially when what we were doing wasn’t working out for us. I had aggravated girls and they had a stressed out mommy. It took me a while to realize that I had to do what was right for my family and there was no ‘right’ way to home school.

2. I’m home schooling two children with different needs
– My
daughters are only two years apart. They are the best of friends and have so much fun together. I thought ‘Yeah, this is going to be easy!’ Well, I thought wrong. They are on completely different levels and learn completely differently. They even like to do school work at different times of the day. It has taken some flexibility on my part but now I have two very happy home schooled girls.


3. I had to remember why were home schooling to begin with
– It came down to flexibility, we like to come and go as we please. Our family business’ busy season is the summer and we take our holiday in the winter. Meaning some times we can be more involved in the home schooling community than others. There are so many wonderful programs in our area for home schoolers that I started to feel guilty about what I could attend. It came down to just doing what works best for our family. I’ve let the guilt go!


I have a feeling that next year will be a lot easier on us. We found our rhythm and schooling styles. The girls are learning what they want to learn, not only what a schoolbook says they should be learning.





Enter to Win Giveaways Ending Soon
We Love Comments
Share This

0 comments:

 

Three Things I’ve learned my First Year Home schooling

Taking Time for Mommy is an Online Magazine offering recipes, giveaways, reviews, and more. Content Copyright © 2011 Taking Time For Mommy.

Layout Copyright © 2009 Fashionzine is Designed by Ipietoon for Bie Blogger Template
In Collaboration With Teen Celebrities