Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Random acts of Kindness



Yesterday we were at the store and dh needed to get an over the counter medicine and someone was kind enough to leave a coupon for $4 off. May not seem like a lot but it was very helpful and got me thinking about the little things we do to show kindness, no matter how insignificant.

When I'm in a store and have extra coupons I always give them away. I try to help people in wheel chairs you can't reach and I always offer a smile. A lot of times I don't get the smiles back but it doesn't discourage me. I am a true believer in what goes around comes around.

I know a lot of people believe a good deed never goes unpunished but I think that's just an excuse to be selfish. Little things can make a difference in someone's day and when they pay if forward to someone else and they in turn do it for yet another, the world can be a better place.

No, I'm not some crazy hippy. I just see this world going in a bad direction but I know there are still enough good people out there who do care. Sometimes we get wrapped up in the day, in our kids, and in our selves. We need to step out and practice random acts of kindness :)



Photobucket

Mandie Stevens is owner of Taking Time for Mommy & Mommy Reads too Much. She's a homeschooling mom of 2 girls and believes every mom should take a little time for herself.


Enter to Win Giveaways Ending Soon
We Love Comments
Share This

9 comments:

Martha Lawson on Wed Jul 07, 08:00:00 PM 2010 said...

I'm with you! Showing kindness never hurts, and it's free. You may not always get a smile or greeting back, but it's the other person's loss. I fully believe you will be rewarded for being nice and helpful.

Erin on Wed Jul 07, 08:23:00 PM 2010 said...

I love this post!! There is such a lack of kindness in our World!

Aleksandra Nearing on Wed Jul 07, 09:20:00 PM 2010 said...

Good for you, sweetie! If I'm at the store and can't use a coupon I leave it near the product...maybe someone else can. I don't care what anyone else things or random good deeds...I do them to feel good myself, which is all that matters. Happy Wednesday!

Debbie's L'Bri on Thu Jul 08, 12:13:00 AM 2010 said...

Great job! I do the same. I try to help out older people and moms with babies... Many people are shock that others want to help them.

MaryAnne on Thu Jul 08, 07:52:00 AM 2010 said...

I think this is the best way to live! And, I've been lucky enough to have people give me coupons in stores before, it's so nice of them to pass on the ones they can't use!

Debbie's L'Bri on Thu Jul 08, 09:52:00 AM 2010 said...

Yes, aloe is great for the insides too. Our company has and aloe drink. It gives energy and has antioxidants too. Thanks for stopping by...

Susan Fobes on Thu Jul 08, 03:03:00 PM 2010 said...

I believe in "paying forward" too-you never know when you may need that helping hand.

laura grace weldon on Fri Jul 09, 10:25:00 AM 2010 said...

Totally agree. I used to (back in my social worker days) run support groups for people who were abused as children. They often said that the kindness shown them by people outside their families was what kept them going. Sometimes the nice comment from a fellow shopper, the pat on the head from a neighbor or a cheery surprise from a friend's mother generated so much hope that even when these people were adults they still held on to these memories.
We may see an incidental kindness as not meaning a whole lot. We never know how much it means to someone else.

Unknown on Wed Jul 14, 11:07:00 PM 2010 said...

So true! Reading the title of this post reminded me of a movie I saw few weeks ago "Evan Almighty"....everything in the movie is about a random act of kindness at the time to change the world

 

Random acts of Kindness

Taking Time for Mommy is an Online Magazine offering recipes, giveaways, reviews, and more. Content Copyright © 2011 Taking Time For Mommy.

Layout Copyright © 2009 Fashionzine is Designed by Ipietoon for Bie Blogger Template
In Collaboration With Teen Celebrities