Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Did I miss my Calling?



People are always telling me that I missed my calling. That I should have been a chef.

Ever since I could remember I had wanted to own a restaurant. My Dad had one, so did my Grandfather, and my Uncle. It was something I always knew I was going to do.

Even before I had children I worked in restaurants and worked my way to General Manager at a Fine Dining Restaurant. I was even thinking about buying it when it went up for sale. It just wasn't the right time, I had a 2yr old and I was about to pop out another baby any day. Well the restaurant sold and I was out of a job. (No severance pay or anything grr.. but that's another story.) My dreams of having my own restaurant were crushed. I had a new born, a 2 yr old and no job meaning no money to buy a restaurant with.

It took me awhile to come to grips with being a stay at home mom. I didn't think I could deal with doing 'nothing' all day. As I cried over piles of laundry and my crying baby I never would have thought that that would have been the biggest blessing of my life.

My husband opened a landscaping business and I'm a stay at home mom who has plenty to do. I run the office for our business. I watch my children grow and learn. I'm the back bone to my family. My dreams and desires have changed. I don't own my own restaurant but they do call me Chef Mommy.


This post is in participation of the Bloggy Mom's June's Blog Challenge.
Sponsor of the challenge is Celebrate Recovery Etsy Shop


Photobucket

Mandie Stevens is owner of Taking Time for Mommy , Mommy Reads too Much, 
Time4mommy Community for Moms.  She's a homeschooling mom of 2 girls and believes every mom should take a little time for herself.
Enter to Win Giveaways Ending Soon
We Love Comments
Share This

6 comments:

Karyn Climans on Wed Jul 21, 02:49:00 PM 2010 said...

One day, if you truly want to be a chef or a caterer ... you will be! Right now you are doing the most important job ... loving your kids. My kids would love you as a mom because you're a great cook. I cook because I HAVE to not because I want to.

Anonymous said...

I think of the things I wanted to be before my son came along...in time I guess. For now, I love every second of being around him...I have friends who work and they are missing out big time! Some don't even want to be around their kids!

Lucky us, right?

Aleksandra Nearing on Wed Jul 21, 06:08:00 PM 2010 said...

Hi! Got my Desire Me book in the mail today. Thanks again for the giveaway :)

Sandra on Wed Jul 21, 11:49:00 PM 2010 said...

It's never too late. One day your kids will get bigger and you'll have more time, and you might decide you want to pursue your dream of being a chef after all. Life is all about making new opportunities...oops...sorry, I've gotten on the soap box, let me climb down!

Unknown on Wed Sep 01, 09:09:00 PM 2010 said...

That's so cute. I guess I haven't really found my call yet, but I'm glad it worked out for you! Maybe one day you can pick up your dreams back up again :)

Mark on Wed Mar 16, 08:14:00 PM 2011 said...

My husband and I own a restaurant, and it's challenging to say the least! But at the same time, it's GREAT! So, I understand the allure...

(I'm keeping my fingers-crossed you have another "restaurant" opportunity down the road!)

By the way, I'm following you back through Bloggy Moms!

All my best ~ Gillian.xo

 

Did I miss my Calling?

Taking Time for Mommy is an Online Magazine offering recipes, giveaways, reviews, and more. Content Copyright © 2011 Taking Time For Mommy.

Layout Copyright © 2009 Fashionzine is Designed by Ipietoon for Bie Blogger Template
In Collaboration With Teen Celebrities