Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My $60 Electric Bill



I opened my electric bill the other day and it was $60. It has even gotten as low as $47. Sometimes I get calls from companies who want to show me how to save money on my electric bill but when I tell them what I pay they laugh and tell me they couldn't help me.

How is my electric bill so low? Well, it's a combination of things.

My home is on the smaller side so naturally, that helps BUT to counter that, 
it is older and the homes now are a lot more efficient. So if you are in a newer home, you can save more.
 
I live in Florida. The Winters are usually mild so we don't use the heat or a/c.
This winter however was a lot colder and we used the heat. Our bill was around $120, we only used the heat at night and just put more clothes on. We also use thermal curtains to keep the heat in.
During the Spring and Fall I keep the windows open. Sure I have to dusk a lot more 
but the breeze feels so nice.
Summer, well I am in Florida so that a/c comes on when I'm not at the beach.

During the day we don't use lights. We open our curtains for natural light.
In the evening we don't use many lights. When we are finished in a room, the light goes off.
After the children go to bed we use our light on a dimmer or pendant lights while watching t.v.

I wash everything in cold. They even make special detergents for that. You are suppose to save $10 
a load by washing in cold. Sounds good for me!

During the summer I hang my clothes outside. I wait until they are almost dry then bring them back in and toss them in the dryer with a fabric sheet for a little bit. They don't get that nasty tought feel clothes usually get
being hung out on the line.

I LOVE to cook but we don't bake too much, only occassionally.
We grill a lot outside too so that helps with our electric bill. 

I don't use a microwave and when my coffee (decaf for me :) or hot water is finished brewing
I transfer it to a large thermas to keep it hot and turn the coffee maker off. 
The coffee maker staying on keeping your coffee warm is just wasting energy and do that day after day it really adds up.

These are just simple things you can do. You can even take it further and get an energy efficient water heater or put a timer on yours. I do neither although I should.  Hope I helped and hope you see your bill coming down soon.

Photobucket
Enter to Win Giveaways Ending Soon
We Love Comments
Share This

5 comments:

Midnite Skys on Wed May 05, 12:50:00 PM 2010 said...

I am low income and the city gave me a new refrigerator and CFL lights (I had some but not all my lights where CFL) and my bill went from 75 to 35 a month. I didn't think it would be that big of a difference but it was.. I too have a small house and I use gas for heat, water heater and stove. So I am pleased and grateful that there is a program like that!!

Book Lover on Wed May 05, 12:59:00 PM 2010 said...

Wow, maybe I should invest in a new fridge!

Darla on Wed May 05, 01:45:00 PM 2010 said...

I have been washing everything in cold for awhile and do not even use special detergent. My clothes get just as clean and, in fact, I think cleaner because the stains don't set in. I should get a laundry line, that would save me a ton, I bet! We do the same with lights and keep the A/C at 78 during the summer. We do use fans though. I wish my electric bill could be $60! I do need to get a thermos for my coffee but I think with summer coming up, I won't be drinking much hot coffee! :)

Unknown on Mon May 10, 12:48:00 PM 2010 said...

I do several of those energy savers too. People laugh at me for washing in cold for my laundry but I know it is saving electricity. And I am a stickler for turning off the lights!

Unknown on Sat Mar 05, 08:51:00 PM 2011 said...

Impressive! I'm sure you would be horrified if you saw my electric bill. :)

 

My $60 Electric Bill

Taking Time for Mommy is an Online Magazine offering recipes, giveaways, reviews, and more. Content Copyright © 2011 Taking Time For Mommy.

Layout Copyright © 2009 Fashionzine is Designed by Ipietoon for Bie Blogger Template
In Collaboration With Teen Celebrities