Tuesday, June 7, 2011

99 Things in 999 Days ( A Bucket List with a Timeline)

Yesterday, I was totally inspired by a blog post I read in the Time4Mommy Community. In her post, she mentioned friends of hers who were working to accomplish 99 goals in 999 days. I thought it was such a great idea... a bucket list with a timeline. 

I spent an hour or so last night checking out blogs of people who have taken on this challenge, and have decided I'd like to do one of my own. Coming up with 99 goals is almost as challenging as completing 99 goals, so I'm going to try to separate the 99 goals into specific areas of my life with several goals in each. 

The first set of goals I'm researching today are financial goals. I'd like to get my financial house in order with the most common goals of financial stability. 

  1. 6 Month Emergency Fund: We currently have a one month emergency fund in place, but that really isn't enough for any serious emergency. Accomplishing this goal of adding 5 months of emergency funds in 999 days should be easy. It's just 5 months times the total of our monthly bills and the spending money we absolutely have to have each week (for groceries and the like) divided by 140 weeks (that's just shy of 999 days).
  2. Life Insurance: Life insurance is important, because it would help supplement my husband's or my income if one of us were to pass. So, I want to go to Aptus Insurance to check out insurance quotes,  and I also want to read the article on what types of life insurance to buy at the AptusInsurance.com website.
  3. Retirement: I want to set up automatic drafts into our IRAs. We haven't made a deposit into either of our IRAs in over a year. 
  4. Pay Down our Mortgage: I want to investigate VA Home Loan Rates to see if we can get a better rate on our mortgage. If we could get our monthly payments lower, but still continue paying the same amount each month, it would be a painless way to pay off the mortgage more quickly!
  5. New (to us) Car Fund: For the first time in about 6 years, we are a two car family. Two cars is not a necessity for us, because both my husband and I work from home. We have found having 2 cars to be really helpful if one of the cars break down however... and break down they do! Actually, one of our cars is at the mechanics. We dropped it off yesterday to have the oil changed, and the mechanic discovered a problem with the rod and piston. (I think that's what they called it?) So, a $20 oil change turned into a $500 car repair. We have a 2001 Dodge Durango and a 2004 Dodge Neon, so we need to have some money set aside in the event that one of the cars breaks down in a way where it's not cost effective to fix.
Okay... enough with the boring goals. Now off to dream and scheme about fun, adventures to partake in over the next 999 days! 
What's on your bucket list?
Enter to Win Giveaways Ending Soon
We Love Comments
Share This

0 comments:

 

99 Things in 999 Days ( A Bucket List with a Timeline)

Taking Time for Mommy is an Online Magazine offering recipes, giveaways, reviews, and more. Content Copyright © 2011 Taking Time For Mommy.

Layout Copyright © 2009 Fashionzine is Designed by Ipietoon for Bie Blogger Template
In Collaboration With Teen Celebrities