Monday, July 12, 2010

Tips for Cleaning your Dishwasher




How often do you clean your dishwasher? 
I mean really clean it? I'm sure you don't think much about it since you are putting all of those detergents in there, you probably assume it's going to be clean right?
 
 Once we take our dishwasher completely apart and deep clean everything. 
I've found everything from tiny little fish bones to goo in the pipe - ewww.
I don't suggest this unless you really know what you're doing (like my husband- certainly not me) because
it will void your warranty but here are some other tips for cleaning it.

It really is very important to rinse of all of the dishes before you put them in there. Even the dishwashers that are powerful - like mine. I've pulled the tubes out, I've seen how gunked up it can get, even with the super washers.

Every few days I take an old toothbrush and scrub around the edges of the dishwasher, the grim and scum from the detergents can build up and effect the seal.

Pull out the bottom rack of the dishwasher and give it a good wipe down. That's where I also found some of the fish bones.

By placing a dishwasher-safe cup filled with plain white vinegar on the top rack of the dishwasher and using the hottest water available, run the dishwasher through a cycle - except for the cup of vinegar, the dishwasher needs to be empty.
The vinegar will help to wash away the loose, greasy grime, sanitizes, and helps remove the stinky odors.

You can also use baking soda to make it fresh and bright.Just sprinkle a cupful around the bottom of the tub and run it through a short but complete cycle using the hottest water. Baking soda is also helpful in removing stains.


Photobucket

Mandie Stevens is owner of Taking Time for Mommy & Mommy Reads too Much. She's a homeschooling mom of 2 girls and believes every mom should take a little time for herself.


Enter to Win Giveaways Ending Soon
We Love Comments
Share This

4 comments:

For Their Future on Mon Jul 12, 12:29:00 PM 2010 said...

Thanks so much for the cleaning tips! I will have to do the vinegar and baking soda for cleaning!
Would love to hear tips on cleaning the stove! =)

Danielle on Mon Jul 12, 01:25:00 PM 2010 said...

Thank you for the very helpful tip. I have been wanting to clean my dishwasher for about a month and keep forgetting to look up some ways to really clean.
I also would love to get tips on how to clean my stove and washing machine. I know it sounds weird but just because you put laundry soap in it to clean close doesnt mean your machine is clean.

Have a great day!

Unknown on Wed Jul 14, 11:05:00 PM 2010 said...

good tips! thanks Mandie, will do!

Sue A. on Sat Jul 17, 06:10:00 AM 2010 said...

I still hand wash our dishes. I'm not totally sold on dishwashing machines.

 

Tips for Cleaning your Dishwasher

Taking Time for Mommy is an Online Magazine offering recipes, giveaways, reviews, and more. Content Copyright © 2011 Taking Time For Mommy.

Layout Copyright © 2009 Fashionzine is Designed by Ipietoon for Bie Blogger Template
In Collaboration With Teen Celebrities